Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Asseyez-vous, asshole!

I do not understand people that refuse to take available seats on crowded buses. Asses are not gluteus non grata. Seats are not objets d’art that are to be seen but not touched. Rather, they were specifically designed, and installed, to accommodate riders’ rears. This concept, however, escapes many of my fellow transit patrons.

Having a regular 9-6 occupation, I am part of the commuter class. Squeezing into crammed buses during both rush hours is part of my daily routine. Because I live at the bus route’s halfway point, the chances of procuring a seat are slim; so to me, these are prized commodities.

Sitting on the bus is essentially all upside. You don’t have to move when other people get on. Flipping through books or magazines is easier. Plus, worries about having strangers’ asses or crotches rub up against you are significantly decreased (this is only a plus if you’re not into that. I’m sure there are people for whom bus booty bumpin’ is their only source of physical contact – and welcomed). Sure, by sitting you expose yourself to an eye-level view of front and backsides (again, some might be into that) and chances are it won’t be a pretty sight. However this can be easily avoided by reading.

The only thing worse than people that refuse to sit are people that forego the seat and say, “oh no, it’s all right. I sat all day at work.” Sitting at work doesn’t foreclose further sitting. I talk, type, smoke, eat and urinate at work, but that doesn’t stop me from engaging in those activities in a non-work environment. Asses are for sitting, not for talking out of.

[Via http://monoispoly.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment